Monday, November 9, 2009

Communion - A Cosmic Event 11-8-9


Anderson, South Carolina

The first meal ever shared on another heavenly body was the sacrament of Holy Communion. For decades this reality was classified by the United States government. On the surface of the moon Sunday, July 20th, 1969 Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong shared the bread and wine that are taken by millions of Christians each Sunday in remembrance of one of the most profound acts of love ever recorded in human history. Buzz Aldrin prepared the consecrated sacraments provided by his church, pouring the wine into a chalice, also given by his local church. He describes how in the low gravity of the moon, the wine curled gracefully up the side of the chalice. Aldrin later mused on how the first liquid ever poured on the moon, perhaps on any world, was that of the Lord’s Sacrament, how the first food eaten on the moon, perhaps on any world was the bread of Heaven, given for us.

Each time before I take communion out from my church to our home-bound, I and all those present in the service recite together, “We who are many are one, because we all share one bread and one cup.” This simply must be one of the grandest expressions of community in this world, perhaps on any world. How amazing to think that this applies equally across the vast cold expanses of deep space and time. Forty years and two hundred and fifty five thousand miles mean nothing in the quantum realm of heaven.

I’ve just returned from another experience of this heavenly meal, a mere half mile away. While working in a friend’s yard, raking leaves and performing other unskilled labors I was invited to an evening healing service in her church, this neighborhood church being within easy walking distance of my house. There I found a small group assembled who were as serious about the business at hand as were Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong forty years ago. Unknown to me, it was planned for us to share that meal that makes us one, even with those on another world.

With two ministers officiating in a casual comfortable manner, the fourteen of us present first entered into a season of hands-on-prayer, anointing each other with oil and administering the laying on of hands. There were no unspoken needs here. People were honest and spoke their needs out loud as they sat on the front pew while others gathered round and prayed out loud for their serious needs, emotional, physical, material. Everyone participated. No one was left out. What a profoundly satisfying and enriching time it was to have warm loving hands reach across space and touch those in need of a miracle. I have had some grand experiences at the hands of well-trained massage therapists but they simply don’t compare to the deep satisfaction and comfort of being the recipient of a loving laying on of hands by a cloud of people, people who take their faith journey as seriously as did two astronauts in the previous century.

There is a delicious element of surprise that derives from an unexpected extra. A lengthy encore by one’s favorite music performers often gives life this sense of generosity. My recent experience of having an airline desk attendant suddenly offer me an upgrade to first class for a long-haul flight after sitting on the floor of a distant airport all night certainly was powerful evidence of generosity, proof the world is friendly. A substantial transaction with a fellow several weeks ago developed a major unpleasant financial surprise a few days ago. His recent phone call confirmed that the friendliness of the universe is more powerful than profit. He said he would bring me a check to fill in the fiscal pothole that had opened up in my pavement.

Thinking the healing service concluded, I was pleasantly surprised when we were asked to assemble to share the same menu that Buzz and Neil had shared on a dry dusty world in a prior century. I had the same feeling wash over me that was present when I heard the word ‘upgrade’ or when my favorite band sat back down and picked up their instruments. I had again won ‘bonus play’ in the game of life. So it was just now - a fine meal with fourteen delightful people who mean the world to me. We had a meal made in Heaven and I didn’t have to do the dishes. I have always thought that one could find the best stuff to eat at churches. The food is out of this world.

“And when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me. In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment