Saturday, April 3, 2010

Beauty – Victorious Over Death 4-3-10

Birmingham, Alabama

On journeys to Europe I’ve always been intrigued by magnificent gilded boxes found on high altars in great Gothic cathedrals. Studded with precious stones and images of Jesus, these reliquaries are reputed to contain fragments of the True Cross, bones of our Savior, or other relics of great ecclesiastical value. I have often wondered how large the True Cross must be if all the wood fragments attributed to it were authenticated. Often I have thought about the idea of a sinless being actually being put to death willingly on a couple of Roman beams, on my account.

In the 1950s, Hollywood produced spectacular films depicting sagas of Biblical times. The Ten Commandments, Quo Vadis, King of Kings, and The Robe were produced in an era when Americans had great thirst for epic visions of biblical events. Perhaps the most expansive of these was William Wyler’s 1959 rendition of Lew Wallace’s 1880 novel Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ. The chariot race scene is one of the most dramatic pieces of cinematography of all time, contributing to the film’s record eleven academy awards.

In some respects another scene is more compelling. As torrential rains wash down upon Jesus on a splintery Roman cross, his blood is depicted running in crimson rivulets across the earth. Another concurrent scene change depicts Judah Ben Hur’s sister and mother being healed from the disfigurement of leprosy. The portrayal of Jesus’ death bringing immediate healing and beauty to Miriam and Tirzah is evocative in the extreme. Every time I’ve seen this film, this proves a riveting turning point for me.

The most glorious place on earth must be found in a botanical garden beneath a canopy of Yoshina cherry trees in full blossom. A gentle breeze creating a blizzard of pale petals beneath spring’s cerulean sky gives cause for near epiphany. Next best must be the wonder of perfectly manicured gardens containing a universe of every spectral marvel known to botany.

On Good Friday I was strolling in a magnificent Japanese garden, well appointed with a traditional torii gate, formal tea house, sculpted benches, raked meditation garden, several bridges, and reflection ponds filled with koi. In my wanderings an astounding small cherry tree on the far side of a reflection pool came to my attention.

Curious, climbing across rocks carefully to avoid falling in the water, getting close to the tree, my eyes told me I was seeing something impossible. This cherry tree was in radiant bloom, laden down with a canopy of brilliant crimson blooms. Closer inspection revealed its trunk to be completely hollow. Looking down through it gave clear view of the ground. Looking sideways through it gave clear view of the pond. Most of the tree was gone top to bottom. Visual observation revealed no cambium, heartwood, sapwood, or any other possible way for dry splinters of bark-free wood to be providing nutrients or vascular support to that canopy of glorious blooms.

I suddenly thought of Old Testament accounts of the miracle of Aaron’s rod that gave sprout. Here I was looking at the most glorious fragrant cloud of crimson petals around my head, newly bloomed from the driest of splinters. It made no sense to me. To convince myself I was seeing clearly, I carefully photographed the canopy and disintegrated trunk with two cameras. Later evaluation of the images indicated this tree should not be happening.

Is it possible that love and beauty are so powerful that they can erupt out of dry dead splinters? Could God’s love really erupt from a Roman Cross? Could life come forth from death? Was this single oddity of a crimson tree a metaphor for me? Was this scarlet beauty a reminder of the blood running in rivulets that could deliver women from the scourge of leprosy? Does blood running in rivulets from Roman splinters have power to clothe me in a redemption that makes me white as snow? Did a being without fault take upon Himself all death so we could be found without blemish, without fault, white as snow, as fragrant and pure as the cherry blossoms on dozens of trees all around me? To never be victimized by death?

The cherry tree defied death to tell me of another ancient tree, one perhaps enshrined in reliquaries, where death was embraced so that I don’t have to. Perhaps this tree cherry is proclaiming the wonder of the Easter message.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’

No comments:

Post a Comment