Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Some Musing on Serenity 9-20-12

Sydney, Nova Scotia

In 1942, Reinhold Niebuhr, a professor at Union Seminary wrote a prayer long taking the recovery world by storm. Its short version states simply, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”

For those who have descended into the depths of alcoholism and drug addiction, powerlessness over one’s self destruction becomes an overwhelming despairing reality. Paradoxically, embracing one’s powerlessness is the first step up and out of the abyss of alcoholism and addiction. The beloved Catholic priest, Henri Nouwen, often wrote on the subject of powerlessness. In his elegant words, he showed us how we could embrace the lemons of powerlessness and turn them into lemonade. Niebuhr suggests there is divine help for our overwhelming problems; if we seek wisdom foremost.

Bill Wilson and Bob Smith connected the dots in 1935, soon discovering a community of mutual accountability grounded in powerlessness could be transformative. By owning their powerlessness over alcohol and coming to a conscious contact with a Power greater than themselves, they found what has proven to be the most effective pathway to the Source of liberation from alcoholism and addictions of a hundred kinds. By giving testimony of their own spiritual liberation from alcoholism to other still-suffering alcoholics, a community of accountability and service arose among less than half a dozen men shuttling between New York and Ohio. The transformation in these men was so complete and sustainable as to give rise to a larger community of recovered alcoholics now numbering in the millions, spanning eight decades and nearly two hundred nations.

Being on board ship in 75 MPH hurricane strength winds for two days reminds me of just how insignificant I really am. Bobbing as a cork on steel-gray mounds of undulating foam under dull leaden skies might be a bit demoralizing if one has expectations of life unfolding perfectly. One doesn’t usually spend thousands of dollars to ride eight hundred miles out into the stormy North Atlantic and be tossed about in a maelstrom. Sometimes the Caribbean’s cerulean skies and fair temperatures just don’t happen. It’s always winter somewhere on earth and I happened into it early.

Serenity is a precious state of mind and soul deriving from accepting those things I cannot change. I can’t change the climate or calm the seas but I can be thankful I have a warm bed to sleep in and all the grand dining I could ever wish for. I can accept that winter sometimes shows up early in the North Atlantic, reminding me of the Greater Cycles maintaining order in our world.

As a photographer wanting to photograph a distant destination new to me, dense cloud and steady rain has me stopped in my tracks. It is what it is. Being powerless over weather allows me to release my expectations. No one’s expecting me to get off the ship and ruin my cameras in cold rain. I’m only expected to accept life on life’s terms. Today I’m granted a warm dry place inside to write, read, and do my work.

Niebuhr suggests there are things we can change. Perhaps the most compelling candidate for change is my attitude. Do I whine because it’s raining and I want to be on shore filling up flash cards with images of paradise or do I give thanks for being able to have a rich experience despite what’s happening outside the glass? There could be many worse things than living on a beautiful ship with its fine dining, new friends, expansive music and entertainment options, even a first rate fitness facility.

It took but miniscule courage to change one small thing within my grasp – the hour at which I was willing to get out of my warm bed. I was well rewarded. As it turns out, each morning for about an hour at first light there’s been a break in the dense cloud, allowing me to photograph the front edge of day in its magenta, crimson, and cobalt glory. While thousands of others were inside sleeping, I was on deck by myself, collecting the unfolding panorama before me. For three days I’ve seen the heavens parted at first light, granting me a holographic view of paradise. Being willing to face into cold blustery winds created an indelible imprint of Heaven on my life.

Niebuhr suggests in his prayer we fare much better by asking for serenity to accept those things proving immutable and for courage to give our energies to changing those things malleable in our lives. Wisdom proves to be a lubricant for good living. Wisdom enables us to invest our limited power to change the small things we can and trust a Power greater than ourselves to change the big things beyond our capacity. Solomon, long considered the richest and wisest man in history asked God for only one thing, wisdom. We could do so well.

For those in recovery from alcoholism and addiction, tiny decisions can have huge consequences. Getting out of bed early to take photos won’t materially alter the future of my life but for those struggling to gain freedom from the prisons of alcoholism and addiction the tiny decision to take a drink or drug when faced with life’s moments of winter can set off a cascade of life-destroying consequences.

Serenity, the ability to accept things as they are, even if they be dense cold cloud and rain on a stormy sea, frees us from those emotional maelstroms so often sending us to seek refuge in altered chemical states of mind.

Blessings,

Craig C. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment